Weather permitting, the Town Hall Tower is open 1 June - 31 August every day 11 –18. Last admission at 17.30.
Closed on national holidays 23-24 June.
The tower is closed outside opening hours and cannot be visited by appointment. Admission is on a first come, first served basis. Please respect social distancing! Groups are not admitted.
Visitors must sanitize their hands and/or put on plastic gloves (provided by the ticket seller at the entrance) before climbing the tower.
Tickets to the tower are sold at a separate entrance right under the tower.
Adults: 4 €
Children under 18 years: 2 €
Free entry with Tallinn Card
The entrance to the tower is right under the tower, next to the tavern III Dragon.
To reach the belfry at the height of 34 meters you have to take 115 steps on the caracole. The steps are steep and high. Therefore we do not recommend the tower to very old or overweight persons or people with very small children. The tower is not suitable for group visits.
The tower was constructed together with the Town Hall in 1402 – 1404. The original Gothic pyramidal spire was replaced by a Late-Renaissance spire in 1627. The height of the Town Hall from the bottom of the arcade to the top of the spire is 64 meters. A weather-wane - the figure of an old warrior called Old Thomas was put on top of the spire already in 1530. Old Thomas kept watch until 1944 when it was hit at the time of the March bombardment. Old Thomas is now exhibited in the Cellar of the Town Hall. The burnt spire was reconstructed and a new copy of Old Thomas erected in 1952. In 1996 the spire was renovated and the third Old Thomas figure was put on top of the spire.
Tallinn Town Council used to have its own guards, who maintained order in town and watched for possible enemy troops or destructive fire from the tower. When something endangered the city, an alarm bell in the belfry was rung. The alarm bell was made by Hinrik Hartman, a cannon master from Tallinn in 1586. There is a text on the lower edge of the bell:
"Glory to God in the highest. Anno Domini 1586. Thou shalt keep thy fire and flame to protect the town against any harm."
Until the 20th century, the bell clapper was pulled from the rope. Nowadays the clapper is operated by the clock on the façade of the Town Hall by means of an electronic system. The clock rings on the hour, once for each hour of the time, so do not get startled!